Lentil san choy bau modified for your waist line, IBS, Vegan, heart health
One of my favourite Chinese starters – Lettuce Wraps with pork, chicken or lentils with loads of hidden crunchy vegetables in a tasty savoury brown sauce, bundled up in fresh lettuce. Also known as San Choy Bow, it’s arguably the ultimate quick ,meal “just happens to be healthy”
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 4cm green leaf of leak
- 1 tbs vegetable paste
- ½ – 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded if preferred, plus extra finely sliced to serve
- 400g Drained tinned lentils,
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 40 g carrot, cut into pieces
- 200g mushrooms
- 100g Chinese cabbage
- 100g red capsicum
- 140 g canned water chestnuts, drained
- 400g Tin baby corn
- 3 sprigs fresh coriander, leaves only, plus extra to serve
- 1 – 2 spring onions green trimmed and finely sliced, to serve
- 4 – 6 iceberg lettuce cups
- fresh lime, cut into wedges, to serve (optional)
1 tbs cornflour
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine
- 3 tbsp water
- 1tbs Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 tbs Mirrin
per 1 portion
Calories 11495 kJ / 285 kcal
Protein 28 g
Carbohydrates 15 g
Fat 5 g
Fibre 15 g
Mix cornflour with 1 tbs water until lumpy and free. Then add the remaining sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Place ginger, leek and chilli into wok or saucepan and give it a quick stir.
- Place carrot, shiitake mushrooms, red capsicum, Chinese cabbage and toss for 5 minutes.
- 3.Add tinned lentils drained into mixture and cook further 4-5 min.
- 4.Add water chestnuts and baby corn, and coriander.
- Add sauce and cook for 1 ½ minutes until it thicken and is glossy.
- Transfer into lettuce cups and serve with extra finely sliced spring onion/shallot,
- To serve, spoon some filling into a lettuce leaf, some coriander extra chili and enjoy…