A light, healthy, tasty, textured, CRUNCHY Asian salad that is a great side or a great meal when you add a protein. Dressing is a great salty / sour / spicy lime dressing reminiscent of Thai and Vietnamese food. Add your favourite Protein and you will find this salad very morish.
What you need?
White cabbage or Chinese Cabbage (Wombok) red cabbage, capsicum, carrot, coriander or mint, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds, Gluten Free Fried Noodles (optional), Light Soy sauce, Sweet Chili Sauce, Mirin, Lemon Juice and spring onion.
Asian Dressing The Asian dressing is made with soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, mirin or rice wine vinegar or lemon and lime, and optional chili).
Turn it into an Asian Tofu/ CHICKEN/ Prawn/ Crab/ Lobster or any other fav protein Slaw!
Make a big batch and this becomes your committed meal. This is the sort of salad that makes people want to eat their greens. It’s strange to describe a salad as moreish – but that’s what this is, the taste and texture makes this salad its own personality.
3 cups green cabbage or Chinese cabbage , shredded
2 cups red cabbage , shredded
2 large carrots , julienned or grated
2 cups bean sprouts optional
1 cup red capsicum julienne
3 green onions , finely sliced on the diagonal
1/2 cup coriander / cilantro leaves
3 tbs pumpkin seeds toasted in pan for extra crunch
2 tbs sesame seeds toast for extra crunch
1/4 cup Asian Fried noodles or Shallot
Corriander or mint optional
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce, light
2 tsp fish sauce , or more soy (Note 4)
2 tbsp lime juice , or more rice vinegar
Quick Dressing option
2 tbs soy sauce, 2 tbs Sweet Chili sauce and 1 tbs Rice Wine Vinegar or Mirin
Combine dressing ingredient add the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, chili and combine well.
- Combine the cabbage, capsicum, carrot in a salad bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well.
- Combine the salad ingredients, except the Asian Fried Shallots.
- Pour over dressing and toss to combine.
- Garnish with Asian Fried Shallots. Serve!
- Add your protein and enjoy!!
- Crunchy Fried Shallots– crispy fried shallot pieces, great garnish for Asian salads. Found in the Asian section of supermarket but cheaper at Asian stores!
- Rice vinegar– can sub with cider vinegar or white wine vinegar.
- Soy sauce– ordinary all purpose or light soy. Not dark soy.
- Fish sauce– sub with more soy.
- Lime juice– Sub with more rice vinegar.
- Storage– keep dressing separate from salad. Will keep for 3 to 4 days
Find more recipes here